How to Create a Breakout Room in Video Conferencing Platforms
Breakout rooms are an increasingly popular feature in video conferencing platforms that allow participants to split into smaller groups and have separate conversations.
What is a Breakout Room?
A breakout room as a feature is available in many video conferencing applications. It allows multiple participants to split into smaller groups outside of the main meeting room.
Thus, people can have private conversations and work on projects together. Meanwhile, everyone else in other meeting rooms is not able to hear what those people are saying.
Breakout rooms are used for various purposes, from collaborative brainstorming sessions to problem-solving or working on individual tasks.
How To Use Breakout Room On Different Platforms/Services
Zoom is one of the most widely used video conferencing platforms today. It offers users breakout rooms to organize meetings into small group conversations for more focused collaboration. To create such a room in Zoom, follow the next steps:
- Select “Breakout Rooms” in Settings.
- Choose how many rooms you would like to build and assign participants accordingly.
You can also customize each room with its own name and description, as well as set time limits for a session. Online attendees can join a breakout room by clicking on it directly from the main meeting interface or via a link sent by the host.
SpatialChat is another popular video conferencing platform where users can create and manage virtual breakout rooms for meetings.
To build a breakout room on SpatialChat, you should:
- Go to your meeting settings and select “Create Room” under the Breakout tab.
- Play around with the room setup such as Renaming, Duplication, Changing position, Password protection, Permissions, etc.
- Invite participants via email or direct link.
- Take advantage of even more capabilities - hide rooms, unite them into groups, or delete if needed.
The platform offers several options how people can set up their rooms, including participant limits, moderators’ settings, and audio recordings during sessions.
Just try it! It's easy🙂
Google Meet provides an easy way to build virtual breakout rooms for meetings quickly and easily:
- Click the “Breakouts” tab in the meeting window.
- Select “Create Breakout Rooms.”
- Customize room settings according to your needs, such as duration time limit, or password protection if required.
- Invite participants via email or direct link which is provided in Google Meet.
One of the biggest advantages of Google Meet is that it offers built-in features. These are, for example, a capability for moderators to hop between breakouts or automated reminders when time limit is about up expire. So, you don't need to adjust these settings manually during your meetings.
Microsoft Teams offers its own version of virtual breakout rooms called Channels. It helps to organize meetings into smaller conversations without distracting people by parallel discussions during main sessions.
To use the Channels feature provided by Teams, proceed with the following:
- сlick on “Channels” at top right corner of your screen while you are logged in with Microsoft Teams account,
- then follow the on-screen instructions and set up your channels properly, depending on how you want them to look like (assigning moderators, enabling recordings, etc.).
Additionally, Microsoft Teams also has a useful feature of live transcription. With it’s help, you can keep track of any discussion inside each channel even if you currently don't have access to it!
Made for you with️ ❤️ from SpatialChat